September 29, 2011

On my Father's Death


My father passed away on August 28, 2011.
While he was quite sick for the past six years with chronic lung disease brought on by years of smoking, the last month was especially tough on all of us. He persevered and we stood by him. He never complained, so how could we? My mother, his companion of 55 years, knew very well that the endgame was on. But she was the epitome of patience and strength, telling us to also take care of ourselves while caring for him. Many lessons my parents taught me in my formative years were tested in those days.
My early years were spent not knowing my parents. They went for higher studies to USA when I was very young, leaving me in the care of maternal grandparents. It was very late at night sometime in the summer of 1962 that I first saw them - two good-looking strangers who showered much affection and brought me many gifts. The next few weeks went by figuring all this out. The ice was finally broken when on the train to Bombay to collect their shipped luggage the window fell on my hand and took a few nails with it. We were friends after that.
Abbu (as we called him affectionately) taught me the value of hard work and developed my interest in science. He was always surrounded by students, was hardly at home and the best place to meet him was in his laboratory. I was too young in the 1960s to understand that he was setting up a new Biochemistry program at the Aligarh Muslim University (AMU), but figured he must be someone important. I should become like him, I thought.
I enjoyed going to Abbu’s laboratory in one corner of the Chemistry Department, opposite the C-2 lecture theatre in which, many years later, I also attended my first Chemistry class at AMU. My first experiments were done in his lab. For a 6- or 7-year old it was pure magic to see the sudden appearance or disappearance of dark pink color (phenolphthalein) when two colorless liquids (acid and base) were mixed. Years later, when in High School, he encouraged my friends and me to take the National Science Talent examination. Two of us did the project part in his lab. We studied the physicochemical properties of various edible oils to detect adulteration and developed a simple method to estimate the water content of milk. Our research taught us the value of repeat measurements, variation, statistical significance and proper controls.
Abbu nurtured my interest in science and celebrated every success in his own subdued and easy-going manner. I was made to feel good, but not important, and encouraged to do better next time. Importantly, I was allowed to make my own choices. When I gave up the option to study medicine and opted for Chemistry instead, he supported me. By the time I was ready for my Masters degree, Abbu was Head of Biochemistry at AMU. While I liked the subject, the desire to be my own person made me declare that a Masters in Biochemistry from his Department would be my last choice. I never asked him whether my belligerence hurt him and Abbu was too much of a gentleman to raise it. He advised me to go to the Indian Institute of Technology-Kanpur to get my Masters in Chemistry, reasoning that it was the best Chemistry Department in the country, and with a strong background in Chemistry I could easily switch to Biochemistry. I saw the value of that advice many years later.
By letting me take my own decisions and learn from my mistakes, my parents took the fear of the unknown out of me. That confidence has been critical for me as a person and as a professional. Those who play it safe are rarely original. I was allowed early in my life to take risks with the knowledge that my parents trusted me and I would not be alone if I messed up. That is the best gift my parents have given me. I hope I can instill the same confidence in my own children.
Abbu nurtured my other interests as well. There were hunting trips during winter, an activity in which he participated enthusiastically, much to my mother’s dismay. While he himself did not play any sports, he never objected to my three-hour cricket sessions after school or the daily lawn tennis practice in university. He knew I had an academic focus that would not be compromised and trusted my judgment. That confidence allowed me to walk away from AMU in the year I was going to captain the university lawn tennis team, because I had the chance to study at IIT-Kanpur. Those aware of the AMU student culture will find this an uncommon action.
My extracurricular interests also benefitted directly from Abbu’s research activities. My air gun came from Germany and my first aluminum tennis racket from somewhere else he had gone to attend Biochemistry conferences. I became interested in photography very early because I had full access to his Carl Zeiss Contaflex SLR camera, which is still a prized possession. A few cameras and many years later, I am still excited at the prospect of shooting landscapes, people and monuments. There is no better way to spend an entire Sunday in Delhi. My camera also remains my most trusted companion on trips elsewhere.
He was a simple person, had no attitude despite being successful at almost everything he did and remained child-like in his enthusiasm to learn new things. Abbu taught himself computers when these were uncommon and became a vocal advocate for computer-aided learning. Biochemistry was one of the first departments at AMU to give students access to computers. Had he been well the past few years, I am sure Abbu would have been a rage on Facebook.
My parents had superb chemistry. They understood and complemented each other beautifully, and treated each other’s family as their own. My mother cared for my paternal grandmother through her 7-year bed-ridden state following a stroke. She also stood by Abbu as he educated and settled his younger siblings. Abbu on the other hand took care of my maternal grandmother in her later years. He commented on her death that he was now an orphan. The love and care they have provided their other son and my younger brother, who is intellectually challenged, is truly inspirational.
Abbu had been struggling in the ICU in a Delhi hospital since July 26, mostly unconscious and on a ventilator. The pneumonia was severe and had led to septicemia. My mother could not come and relied only on my twice-daily updates. We both knew it was a losing battle. She finally managed to come to Delhi on August 28. We left the hospital at 5:30 pm. Abbu died at 8 pm. The 55-year relationship had hung on for that last meeting.
Farewell Abbu. You were always my hero. Your life will continue to guide and inspire me till I meet my Creator just like you did that evening.



Abbu and Me (Year : 1957)

8 comments:

  1. healing hearts,parents are above everything in this world blessings and our protection gifted by god to each child.allah bless sir your fathers soul with jannat hereafter,we all have to depart one day from the worldly affairs hope we make our world better for our life hereafter.aameen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Death is an ultimate Truth. We all have to Taste it one day...May Allah give you strength to overcome this and bless your father with Janatul Firdaus.
    Ameen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew Prof.Majid Siddiqui through my first cousin Prof. Wasim Siddiqui of Hawaii.Prof.Majid Siddiqui was a very affectionate person.So is Jamila baji and their other family members.We miss him a lot.Shahid is here to carry on his legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May Allah reward Majid Saheb jannah and give sabr to all his family members. He was a great teacher but most importantly a teacher who cared for the well being of his students with a fatherly attitude and was always seen motivating them for hard work and was seen trying to nurture and inculcate scientific interest in his students. I came to know about his death couple of days ago and am very saddened to know this great loss of AMU and fatherly figure of the AMU Biochemistry department. Although he has passed away but his fragrance is going to around the biochemistry for generations and the tree (Biochemistry department) he planted will serve the students for many generations and years to come. I pray to the almighty that he grants you the highest place in jannah..... anser azim, chicago

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tribute to your illustrious father was truly moving. He led an exemplary life and will remain a source of inspiration for our generation and generations to come. May Allah grant him place in Jannatul Firdaus.
    on a different note, I was rather please to learn that we share interest in amateur photography. I picked the hobby recently and predominantly like architecture. We must get together in my next trip to India; if you are coming to States do contact me through E Mail. (abdul.wase@wright.edu) I will give you my personal contact details.
    Keep in touch and continue clicking!!!
    Abdul Wase

    ReplyDelete
  6. I first heard of him in my first biochemistry class (ever), in HIS department, through his student Prof. Saleemuddin. Ever since I wanted to meet him. I was fortunate to interview him for our departmental magazine. It was early February and slightly cold in Aligarh. I knocked at his door (finding which was no difficulty, since the first person we met, knew exactly where Majid Sahab lived), which was opened by an attendant who asked us to wait, while he asked daaksaab if he would meet us. He was exactly like I expected him to be. Very old, very warm and very affectionate. We talked of the University at his time, the University now. Biochemistry then and Biochemistry now. Satisfied I returned. I was an instant celebrity in my class, having had a cup of tea with Majid Sahab. Such was the respect that this man commanded in Aligarh. Its a pity I did not record our conversation. It was probably the last interview he gave. I asked him if it was difficult to open a new department at our university, he said, it was, but its difficult things which are the most rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Shaheed Sir,

    Hope ALLAH blesses You to always have a upper hand in your research entries of diverse fields every time you made a choices.

    I was passionate to meet Dr. Shaheed Jameel sir in order to see the person with the diversifications of subjects or fields and established in one my aspiring areas of research finally - VIROLOGY - as his research final entity. This made me meet him in person at his office - which was lucky from my second visit to New Delhi then.
    At last, I found Jameel sir in office and I felt surprised by seeing him at his cabin with a plan to visit for Japan the next day I think so - which I also planned to return to home.
    Jameel Sir is so coool,received me with a warm hearted welcomed into cabin. I still remember some of the virology books in his shelf and we have casual chat.

    You are here always the handsome and cute person even at an early ages itself.

    Hope to meet you for the next time and every time I make visit over there.

    With regards,
    S. AFSAR

    ReplyDelete

Fixing the Leaky Pipeline for Leelavati’s Daughters

Women (and men) with a passion for science management. The authors Bela Desai (front row 2nd from left) and Shahid Jameel (back row extre...